Time and Creativity

WWdN: In Exile: catching up, part two
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/4919866

Wil Wheaton is on the money as usual, talking about a lack of time to do everything we would like to do with our lives. I have WAY more ideas than I have time to execute. Totally agree with the practice discourse as well, both as it relates to creativity and to performance. Kung Fu is my classic example of performance. I have done martial arts on and off for years, and the value of practice is fairly obvious at the beginner level - you have to practice to learn the moves. But now that I am into traditional Shaolin Kung Fu, I am starting to understand more deeply how practice starts to bring pieces together. Practicing allows you to make moves without thinking about them, so you can then focus on learning to make the moves in a relaxed way, which improves speed, and paradoxically, power. The next step (I would imagine - we have not been taught this), is to bring your chi into your every move, which makes the moves even more powerful. That's (again I am imagining) when you start to approach some level of mastery.

Lack of time to be creative is where I sort of suffer. My creative outlet used to be photography. But landscape photography (which is what I really like) takes a lot of time to do well, time that a wife, 3 kids, mortgage, full time job, part time job, and Kung Fu do not easily allow. I do the left brain stuff all day long at work, and I feel the lack of balance, but also feel at a loss to find the time to remedy it. When I am able to get out to shoot, I feel nourished in a way that is hard to describe. I have been doing a bit more writing in this and other blogs, but those writings are not all that creative.

Well, my oldest daughter is into photography now, so my plan is to "kill 2 birds" by taking her out to shoot pictures. That way I have quality time with one child, and also satisfy a creative urge/need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An addition to the sadness

A Simple Twist of Fate

Get The Money Out of Politics