Powers Of The Mind

I wanted to get this down as a placeholder for a more in depth discussion later. I am wondering whether there is an intersection or commonality between a lot of the mystic, religious, new age, eastern arts, neuroscience and the placebo effect. I mean, what the placebo effect has proved time and again is that the mind has the power to heal on its own if it "thinks" it should. It seems to me that this could also explain much of reports of people being helped by various types of energy work, mysticism, fortune telling, etc. If someone believes they are being helped by these modalities, then perhaps the placebo effect is what is really happening. Ditto the healing effect of prayer. Laughter is the best medicine. Et cetera. What these various placebo effects studies do not seem to be telling us is why and how the placebo effect actually works. How is it that the mind can effect a cure on the body? Likely some sort of sophisticated body chemistry. But isn't that what should be studied? Obviously, enabling people to heal themselves with their minds is not in the financial interests of the medical community, but there must be some altruistic researcher out there willing to explore this more deeply. I personally am not wild about the idea that chi is part of the placebo effect, but if I respect science, and I do, then I need to accept that this may happen. While they are at it, I'd like them to also look at the mirror neurons concept and whether they can be influenced/triggered by others' brain waves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An addition to the sadness

A Simple Twist of Fate

Does Religion Have A Corner On Moral Values?